Re: PVC secondaries/ What really is PVC?

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dale Nassar by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dnassar-at-i-55-dot-com>

> Greg,
> PVC is such a popular coil form because it is cheap and easy to
> find.  Otherwise it is not a good Tesla secondary due the the high RF
> losses of PVC at these frequencies--also it holds water.  So by coating it
> with polyurethane you get a water tight low Rf form.  Yes, you should coat
> the form with an OIL-BASED poly.  Be sure you make sure the PVC is clean
> and dry first. Then wind the coil.  A poly or acrylic (plexiglass)
> secondary would be better but they are VERY expensive and harder to
> get/find.  I like to use thin-walled PVC, dried and coated before AND after
> winding--you want the coil embedded in the low-loss polyurethane.  I live
> in a hot climate and leave the pipe in the hot sun all day before coating.
> --dale nassar

Hi Greg,

No one ever answered my initial question several days ago.  When people
are talking about PVC, do they really mean ABS?  I ask that as I found a
table of rel diectric constants and ABS was much lower than true PVC.
And also because I've seen many pictures of coils that look like they
were made from ABS.  Another observation I have is that if these are
real PVC forms, there is alot of uncertainty due the myriad formulations
of PVC, plasticizers, etc.

Thanks!  Rob.

--
The Numeric Python EM Project