Re: VA or Watt

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Cory Roussel by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <imcuddlycory-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> I have a simple question.. whats the difference
> between a VA and a Watt?

Watt is the SI unit for power measurements. VA means Volts x Amperes,
that is a quantity  with the same dimension, but that is only identical
to power when the voltage and current waveforms are proportional.
Transformers and other equipments are rated in VA, because their
voltage and current capabilities are independent. As the VA measurement
is simpler, and always greater or equal to the power in Watts, in
many cases they are mixed.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz