RE: Re-configuring X-Ray Transformers

Original poster: "Jack King by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <speakernut-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry
> Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>
>
> Hi Jack
>
> There's a heck of a lot of wire in those HV
> windings, making for much
> impedance. You would need 100kV impressed on the HV
> windings to circulate
> the normal full-load current of 400 mA. The 20,000
> volts is not enough to
> overcome the impedance to circulate a current of 2
> amps. Turns must be
> removed from the HV windings to lower the impedance.

That was my original plan: Actually I queried about
paralelling the two "de-wound" secondaries. Evidently
theres not enough dielectric around the base of the
coil stack to have a potential around 15 KV above grd.
I wanted to paralell in an attempt to compensate for
the puny wire awg size:

...well that was dashed to heck: Plan b.....just
de-wind the secondaries and hope I can make her work.
I guess the wire size will tell all. I need to be able
to run her at 15-25 kv with about 350-400 ma for about
25 seconds or so, then a pause of about 10-30 seconds,
and then at around 800-900 ma for about 15 seconds.
then a cool off period of around a minute-3
minutes.....maybe I should just scroung a
pig....although I must confess, I kinda fell in love
with "BERTHA" all dressed up in her big gray
rectangular tank....all 500 or so pounds of her...lol.

> Was it costly to get two x-ray transformers together
> with their control
> panels. There are many useful devices in the control
> panels.

No, My neighbor owns Simon's X-Ray, so all the
obsolete stuff will be coming my way, as the scrap
yards wont give him much for the stuff and uhmm heck
yeah I can use the consoles (see my original post in
this thread re my plans for the
autotransformer.....any thoughts???)

Thanks,

Jack