RE: Large Transformers and Capacitors

Original poster: "Andy Cleary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cleara-at-twcny.rr-dot-com>

Thanks for all the responses so far!  It's very interesting to learn
about these sort of things.  To answer some of the questions raised so
far:
1) No, the transformers don't show any sign of being submerged in oil.
Although I suppose if they havn't been used in a while, then the oil
could be gone.
2) When I tested them I used a variable resistor in series as a form
of current limiting.  What is interesting is that the transformer
would do nothing at a resistance >1 Ohm.  But then as soon as it
reached that threshold it jumped to life.  I guess it is very
sensitive to current.
3)I don't know what the core insulation is good for, but I agree it
does look like alot.  Actually, on the third smallest one (which I
didn't take pictures of) it is evident that an arc actually pierced
the insulation, and then they took off the H.V. secondary and put a
low voltage one on instead.  Very interesting...

And thanks for the tips on the other strange parts of the transformer
(DC control, other windings etc.) If anyone's got any more ideas, I'd
love to hear them!

-Andy C.