Re: SSTC update--Enclosure

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jan Florian Wagner by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

> > I have another Q: seeing how ive killed close to the same amount
>>of timner chips as MOSFETs, i now want an enclosure.  I bought an ABS
>> case with Al lid.

	All metal is better.

>> Can I put Al foil inside the case to stop RF interference?

	Yes, if done with care.
	(I used to do EMI design...)
	Need to have good contact between the foil and the Al lid.
	I'd bypass all leads in and out, but I'm cautious...

> If the case is already aluminium then you don't need the foil?

	'tis said to be an ABS box with Al lid.

> Otherwise, yes Al foil helps a bit. Of course, "real"/thicker metal
> should block even better...
> Just watch out you don't short out your circuit anywhere...

> > Can I use the Al lid for a heatsink?

> Depends. If you have 110V on the mosfet, then at least I wouldn't do
> it. If you touch the lid then *zap*.

> There exist special rubber insulation for between mosfet and heatsink,
> as well as plastic sleeves around the mounting screw, but, heat transfer
> won't be optimal. The mosfet could overheat. And anyway you better
> shouldn't trust your live on that the insulation doesn't fail.

	concur.  mostly.  Tho such insulators are routinely made for
	and used in HV/High Power applications.  Some actually
	improve the thermals, (by emulating thermal grease...)

best
 dwp