Re: SSTC update--Enclosure

Original poster: "Jan Florian Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

> I have another Q: seeing how ive killed close to the same amount of timner
> chips as MOSFETs, i now want an enclosure.I bought an ABS case with Al
> lid.Can I put Al foil inside the case to stop RF interference?

If the case is already aluminium then you don't need the foil? Otherwise,
yes Al foil helps a bit. Of course, "real"/thicker metal should block even
better...
Just watch out you don't short out your circuit anywhere...

> Can I use the
> Al lid for a heatsink?

Depends. If you have 110V on the mosfet, then at least I wouldn't do it.If
you touch the lid then *zap*.

There exist special rubber insulation for between mosfet and heatsink,
as well as plastic sleeves around the mounting screw, but, heat transfer
won't be optimal. The mosfet could overheat. And anyway you better
shouldn't trust your live on that the insulation doesn't fail.

> Where do I ground this thing to?Common
> ground?Secondaries?House?

House safety ground, not neutral wire. TC secondary ground might be good
to build separately if you have more than a some ten Watts.

cheers,
 - Jan

--
 high voltage at http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla