From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: 19 January 2002 16:22
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Tune?

Original poster: "Bill Bockman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<billb187-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I have a 30" tall 6" diameter secondary coil.  The secondary coil is wound
with #22 gauge magnet wire.  My step up xformer is a 15kv 60ma neon sign
transformer.  The primary coil was made of 1 gauge stranded wire, 9 turns.
My coil has an air blast gap and beer bottle capacitors that had an
estimated capacitance of 0.0073uf.

THIS SETUP PROVED NOT TO WORK.

In re-examining my plans I found that if my coil was 27.5" tall, I would
need a higher capacitance value, one in the range of 0.0106uf.  More primary
turns would also be necessary (15).

All of this information I gathered through using Tesla Coil CAD.  My
secondary coil is 30" tall, the program says I will need more than 15
primary turns (and doesn't help me more than telling me that) because my
secondary inductance frequency is too high, above 144khz.

What I am asking is can I use the secondary coil I have built?  If so what
type of primary design would be effective?