Re: GM HEI (further measurements)

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> I'll set up the low-Z wide band amp and other toys tonight and see what I
> get.  The top load or terminal attached to the high-voltage button affects
> the resonant frequency a lot too even though the HV-winding does seem to
> have a large natural capacitance associated with it.

Would this be really true? Remember that a in a Tesla coil secondary,
the self-capacitance of the coil is a function practically only of the
dimensions of the coil (one half of the body capacitance of a metal
cylinder with the shape of the coil). In an induction coil there are
the core and a metal case, that contribute with some extra capacitance
to the windings, but these are not so big. An inductance of 10 H
resonating at 10 kHz is seing only 25 pF of capacitance. It would be
interesting to see measurements of these capacitances, with and
without the core and the case.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz