Re: GM HEI

Original poster: "Kevin Ottalini by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ottalini-at-mindspring-dot-com>

Terry:
    I just measured the resonant frequency of the "GM" coil I have here.

This particular one is a Niehoff GM replacement model PT226 for
a '76 Caddie 500 cid engine.

With the core, the primary inductance is ~2.8mH at 1kHz and
the secondary is 17.22H at 1kHz.

I drove the primary directly with a 1vpp sinewave.

The peak output is around 13.5kHz, but the response is quite
broad, from 3kHz to about 20kHz with only a small roll off.

I used a siggen that can drive low impedance coils, but it
didn't appear to be working very hard, so I measured the
primary resistance and it was a very nice 58ohms at 1kHz.

The secondary resistance was ~544Kohms at 1kHz.

Since I'm using only 1V for drive, I was able to use my Tek scope
directly to see the output waveform amplitude and envelope with
the sweep function.

I haven't removed the core yet, but if you need measurements
with the core off let me know.

Hope this helps.

Kevin