Re: First light?

Original poster: "Bob Bozarth by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jbdetails-at-prodigy-dot-net>

    First  thing..... I'll move it off the table. I guess I need to build a
stand for it.

    I was hooked first time I got a bang out of a HV capacitor!

    My secondary has about 900 turns of 26ga wire that I salvaged from an
old motor (it's only got about 6 splices in it). Which puts it at about 14"
of windings. I left 3/4" at the bottom, and about 1-1/4" at the top. So
total height of secondary is 16"
    Question: Where is the secondary located generally compared to the
primary? Should the secondary windings start under the primary? Above, or
possibly equal to?

    I did make a sphere out of a balloon and some Al tape, about 5" dia.
Didn't help, made it worse actually. I'll get some stuff moved around and
try again though.

    So far I haven't spent any money on this project. I'd like to keep it
that way as long as I can. The wife seems to let me stay up longer working
on projects that I don't have to give a pile of receipts for (she does all
the bookwork). I'm not tuned well I think. I need another 6 pack right? I'll
pick me up more rootbeer this afternoon. I would like to try MMC's soon
however. The moisture in the garage really does a number on the foil around
my sw caps.

    Thanks for the help, this is really exciting for me. I look so smart now
when I explain to my family what I'm building! Not that I didn't
before.........

    Bob Bozarth