Re: What is a "pole pig"?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/17/02 9:19:46 AM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>    I know I'm a beginner and all, but what is a "pole pig"?  Is it a
> transformer or what. And what is meant by "pole pig ballast"?
>    Thanks
>    Rick Logan
>    klogan2026-at-aol-dot-com

Hi Rick,

A 'pole pig" is the slang designation for a pole mounted
distribution transformer. Tesla coilers that want to build
really big TC systems (over 8 ft. sparks) use small pole
pigs as power supplies for their coil. Most coilers prefer
them rated at 14,400 volts in and 120/240 volts out and
wire them backwards so with 240 volts in they get 14 kv
out. Although pole pigs can be rated  >100 kVA, coilers
usually prefer them in either 5 or 10 kVA flavor :-)

If you're a beginner, I would strongly suggest that you
start with a smaller coil system to "get your feet wet"
as pole pig transformers are very dangerous and will
quickly electrocute you if you make a careless mistake!

David Rieben