Re: Kicker Coil Powered TC

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Kevin, Steve
We had some problems at work with battery chargers that were failing, I
suspected
that the PS were not transient protected (price point and all).  The
marketing gurus
tried to say "Good is good enough" (a hot button for me...  >:>C )

So I told them I could induce a failure in less then 1 hour, they laughed.
I took a
Allen Bradley 700N relay as a buzzer and put in the same duplex recepticle as
three "Units under Test".  I was wrong, they ALL failed within 15 minutes:
primary to secondary short circuits, bridge VRRM crashes, etc. etc.  An
inductive
kicker like this can produce obscenely large voltages (I measured
repetitively 3kV
pk to pk).

They ask me to redesigned, added a varistor, some high speed RC snubbing and
problems vanished.   :^)

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Kevin Ottalini by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ottalini-at-mindspring-dot-com>