Help with TC - Updated

Original poster: "Sean Taylor by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <taylorss-at-rose-hulman.edu>

Hi again - A few additions/more information about this coil.

Currently, I get about 1 or 2 foot sparks into the air, and only around a
foot to a grounded rod.  Without a grounded rod there are _many_ streamers
coming from the coil - not only the top wire bot the top few turns as well.
The capacitors for the MMC are from LLNL (Lawrence Livermore National
Laboratory) and are specifically for pulse applications.

Using the reactance method (calculating the impedance of the transformer and
finding the appropriate capacitance to match this impedance), I came up with
about 35 nF, how did you arrive at the 0.004 mfd? or is this millifarad
(10^-3), and I'm assuming you mean microfarad (10^-6)?  (more prefix
problems . . .)

I definitely want to get a toroid made, however I'm at school right now, in
Indiana, and live in California, so my TCs get out on hold for a majority of
the year, however, I am trying to start a TC club here at my school (1600
undergrad students, all engineering here . . .)

Also, anyone out there from the SFBA, who would want to try to pool
resources for a TC project?

-Sean Taylor

Original Question from me:
> In a message dated 1/11/02 1:18:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
<mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com