Re: Sudden Jump in NST Current

Hi Dave,

As the chart at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/MMCcapSales.gif

shows, you can increase your primary cap to 41.5nF.  This may help things.

I think your NSTs are saturating their current limiting shunts.  The steel
sheets are just seeing too much flux and they are "going away" allowing the
NSTs to run without effective current limiting.  NSTs can run at
substantial over current but the voltage may be rocketing up too which is
not so good.  Your 20 amp fuse is just the right value for your system and
should not be altered (perhaps replaced now and then :-))  I would suggest
maybe adding 11.5nF to the primary cap.  Other than that, your system is
maxed out ;-))

The Freau formula does suggest that your coil should get 62 inch streamers.
 Maybe the added capacitance will help that.  Saturating the shunts is not
a good thing since it could destroy the NSTs.  I would add the extra 11.5
nF and see what happens.  I think it will be "good" ;-))

Cheers,

	Terry