Re: HV wire

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/12/02 8:49:43 AM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Jim Lux wrote:

> ).  Vinyl tubing (e.g Tygon) is another
> possibility, but I don't know how good an insulator vinyl is.

Jim,all,

I have personally found the transparent vinyl 1/8" thick walled
tubing to work quite well to hold off > 15 kVAC when used as
an outer sheathing around a # 10 AWG standard insulated
stranded wire. Then I insert the vinyl cover "hot" wire thru an
equal length of RF grounded aluminum, flex Romex conduit
(sort of like a big homemade coax cable). I know there has to
be some corona losses in this setup though, because when
I energize the "hot"wire inside with my overdriven 14.4 kV pole
pig with up to about 17 kV out, without any load from being con-
nected to my coil, I hear a considerable amount of corona
"hiss" inside the Romex conduit. I know the field is pretty
even though and I'm not overly concerned about power losses
from the corona since I'm running a 10 kVA pole pig. In about
a year, this setup hasn't failed me yet.

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben