Re: FCC Regs

> I'm lucky. I only have a handful of neighbors within a square
> mile. Closest one is an acre away, so not too concerned with
> interference there. But local airport is a couple of miles away
> and I've heard that the hair stands up on the back of their neck
> when the noise comes up on the radio. They still use AM you
> know.

Probably no issue then...   Harmonic content at 100 MHz for aviation could
be a problem, because the TC is about the right size to be a decent antenna.
You'd probably want to make sure you've got good filtering on the wires from
HV transformer to tank so you don't propagate that way.  The tank itself can
have parasitic oscillations when the gap fires. The frequency of these
parasitics is not necessarily related to the TC frequency (i.e. it's not a
harmonic, but a VHF oscillation in the gap and the wires connecting to it,
much like Heinrich Hertz' original transmitter)

Empricism is probably the best way to find out... Get a 2 meter HT out,
unsquelch it and look at the signal strength it sees with no carrier. Fire
up the coil and see if it changes.  Do this 50-60 feet away so you're out of
the near field.  Or, if you know someone who has an aviation band receiver,
try that...

Or, of course, if you have it, a calibrated antenna and spectrum analyzer
will do a dandy job...