Re: Griffith Park Tesla Coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <wysock-at-ttr-dot-com>

Hello Kevin and all.

My company has been retained to handle the Tesla Coil at the
Observatory.  When it reopens, it will be placed in the East
Wing (Hall of Science) in a new alcove location.  While the
conical secondary coil and flat spiral primary will be retained
exactly as they have been all these years, I will be supplying
a whole new driver system for this coil.  In its new "home" it
will be fully enclosed in a Faraday cage, which will be integrated
with the inside walls, floor and ceiling.  I fully expect the
revamped coil to put out at least 50% more arc power, then
it ever has in the past.  It will also have its own dedicated and
separate earth grounding system, amoung other improvements.

This is a most important project to me.  After all, it was seeing
this very same coil as a kid, in 1958, that got me started in the
world of Tesla Coils and Nikola Tesla.  I also owe my first
interest in electricity and electrical engineerinng to the fact that
I was afforded the privilege of seeing that coil in operation when
I was only nine years old.  For those on the List who haven't
seen back articles on this coil on my web site, please visit
http://www.ttr-dot-com.  There are a total of four articles dating
back to 1938, just three years after the original opening of the
Observatory.  The first article on the Tesla Coil dates from
1948.

Best regards,
Bill Wysock.

> Date:          Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:54:08 -0700
> From:          "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Re: Griffith Park Tesla Coil

> Original poster: "Kevin Ottalini by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ottalini-at-mindspring-dot-com>

> Vince:
>     From the web site:
> http://www.griffithobs-dot-org/QandA.html
>
>     "Popular exhibits such as the Camera Obscura and Tesla Coil
>      are being retained and redeveloped"
>
> No other specific information, but I will inquire about specifics.
>
> Kevin

Tesla Technology Research