Re: Help with TC

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Sean Taylor by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<taylorss-at-rose-hulman.edu>

> Hi all,
> I have several TCs that I have been working on for quite a while, and
> it seems that I can never get arcs nearly as big as people have said
> on webpages, on the list, etc. for the same input power.

Specially designed tape measures are used when measuring spark length.
Much like the ones that are used in fishing.

Actually... Measurement of arc length is an art, and a statistical one at
that.  You tend to quote the longest arc observed, which may be the 99th
percentile length.  There is also a lot of effect from the electrode you
are arcing to.

When you say "nearly as big" do you mean you are getting 75% of the quoted
length? or is it more like 25%.  If the former, you're probably doing just
fine.  If the latter, something needs work.