Re: air variable capacitor

The basic question for you to ask, is what is the breakdown voltage of the
capacitor?  I  suspect it may be low. If the plates are less than 3/4 in
appart a NST will probibly arc between plates. Try it with just a NST and no
other parts. If it dosent arc it should work.You may nead to add more cap.
  Robert  H