RE: Single vs Two Phase - both sides are right!

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Godfrey -

The best way of looking at single, two, and three phase systems is to
consider how these voltages and currents are generated. In a single phase
generator only one voltage is generated, say 240 volts. This one voltage can
be split in half at the generator or power transformer to make two 120 volt
circuits consisting of 3 wires. You can then use these single phase circuits
either as two 120 volt circuits or one 240 volt circuit. Utility generators
use much higher voltages.

The two and three phase systems work in a similar manner but in a more
complex combination of voltages that requires more study on the part of the
coiler.

John Couture