Re: phase locked loop SSTC

Original poster: "Steve Greenfield by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alienrelics-at-yahoo-dot-com>

You keep saying CD4049, as far as I know the only IC
with this number is a hex inverter. Do you mean CD4046
PLL IC?

What you describe with an 8051 or PIC is a bit more
complicated that what I was picturing but in the end
does exactly the same thing. Many of the PICs have a
hardware PWM built in and so wouldn't need an external
D/A converter. Use that output filtered to drive a
VCO. No phase information, just looking at the peak
response. That is why I said it would have to wobble
the frequency back and forth in order to keep track of
the peak.

The simple 4046 PLL circuit I described is meant to be
designed so that the lock range is wide enough for an
individual secondary, the potentiometer would only
need to be adjusted when changing secondaries. I don't
know just how far off frequency the secondary goes
during arcing, that would be important to know.

Steve Greenfield