RE: "Gas burner" corona from STSG driver

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Hi John:

You raise an interesting point.  While I firmly believe that the terminal
secondary voltage is strictly AC, with no DC bias, your mention of the
secondary base current made me stop and think.  It is the asymmetric
conduction of corona from the secondary and top load that causes a DC
charge to be generated.  It is possible that the secondary _current_ can
have a DC bias, due to coronal rectification, while the secondary voltage
is strictly centered about zero.  Since the corona is external to the coil,
I believe it is correct to say that the coils generate unbiased AC, but
your base current measurement showing a DC bias is probably quite real.
Just like a circuit with a xfmr secondary in series with a diode and cap.
The transformer voltage is unbiased AC, but the current is DC-biased AC.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Kurt -

When I did this TC test with the electroscope I also connected an ammeter to
the bottom of the secondary coil to read the DC current. The direction of
the current indicated the secondary terminal was negative.

Have you ever done this type of test with an induction coil? I am enjoying
your Induction Coil web site.

John Couture