Re: MOT supply >4 off

Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

Greetings Team
Yes the centre is grounded. The insulation problem is not really too
difficult.
ALL cores are grounded also.
The first secondary of each half is unmodified. The outer xfrmrs are
carefully selected for good sec to core clearance. I do remove the htr
winding. The inner part of the last xfrmr is at about 4.5kv above ground
rising to about 6.5kv towards the outer part of the winding. Keeping that
4.5kv away from the core is not too difficult if the xfrmr is in oil.  Good
Oil will do about 70kv /mm I think.

I do not believe it is nescessary to elevate the primary winding potential
and use a "super" isolation xfrmr. I have not had much run time with 6 MOTS
but the insulation seems to hold very well.

The 6" PVC plumbing and the plastic caps that fit it make really good
containers. You do need to make sure you seal the caps on the 6" tube (at
the bottom) to avoid leaking oil however. I use PVC solvent cement sold for
PVC spouting systems

I think like you that MOT's are a great source of xfrmrs for the Tesla
experimweter, cheap, plentiful and you have only to look on the WEB to see
how well they perform