Re: phase locked loop SSTC

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

Hi,

> A link to the MAX038 waveform gen, look down the page
> for information on using it as a PLL, specifically for
> "frequency-phase detector". It says that this
> configuration is resistant to locking in on a multiple
> and always starts at the lowest frequency in the
> absence of a signal.

While the chip's 20MHz bandwidth and three output sig waveforms is
very impressive, so is it's price... ;o) You probably wouldn't be
using it for beyond 500kHz (too bad TC performance) anyway?

Basically, the poor man's CD4049 is not supposed to lock on to a
direct harmonic either, when you use the phase comparator II (0deg
phase shift always). Ok but you're right that when it looses lock then
the CD4049 will keep hanging at the maximum frequency, not start from
lowest freq again (well, a comparator for peak VCO input voltage and a
discharge transistor for the VCO input cap could actually solve this).

> Perhaps a solution to using a 4046 PLL is to make it
> have a fairly narrow auto range, but put a manual
> coarse control.

Yes, this certainly works! One pot for frequency setting from "R1" pin
to ground, and a fixed resistor for a fixed bandwidth placed between
the "R1" pin and the "R2" pin. Phase shift is yet the problem. As well
as the (small) effort of retuning pretty often.

> Using a PIC as one person suggested, you could tune
> the VCO in the MAX038 (0.1Hz to 20MHz!) across a band
> and look for the peak, then settle on the peak. The
> PIC could then "wobble" the frequency up and down
> slightly, keeping the peak in the center of the
> wobble. This should then follow changes due to arcing
> and nearby objects changing the resonance.

The idea I got with PIC (better yet, a flash 8051 to get more I/O
pins) is to let it steer a 14 bit or so DAC which then gives 500kHz /
16384 = 30 Hz per step (maybe too high resolution already?). The DAC
sets the CD4049 VCO input voltage.
To find out if we're locked or not, one could use the CD4049 included
phase comparator again and the current sense input from the TC sec
coil base. The phase comparator and it's loop's output voltage is
compared to the actual DAC output voltage with two comparators. This
gives two bits, "below Fres" and "beyond Fres", as tuning indicators
back to the PIC/8051. If both are same (0, or 1) then things are in
tune. No frequency wobbling should be necessary.

The benefit: no potentiometres to adjust when plugging in a new
secondary or primary. Plus neat LCD display with frequency information
:o) And the program can be smart enough to "scan" for F_res and also
prevent driving the harmonics.

Now if there only was some easy way to get rid of that unnecessary and
even disturbing phase information... maybe a two-series-CD4049
setup... I don't think that a simple RCL phase shifting network is
good enough because it is freq dependent... *sigh*

Lets see maybe I can try this PIC/8051 thing out already during next
week....

cheers,
 - Jan

--