Re: gathering TC knowledge

Original poster: "Kilroy by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kilroy-at-nex-dot-net>

>nice layout in the archive, looks like you've put a lot of planning into it.
>but, possibly that is a problem as well, if it stays merely hidden in an
>archive.

Like I said in my previous post, the TCIA was still in the early stage of
getting the structure setup when I ran out of time to work on it.  Many of
the areas that do have content only have a minimal amount.  It was just
something that I stuck in there as a place holder for that page.  These
need to be greatly elaborated on, checked for accuracy and some broken down
into even further sub directories.

Sites such as Hot-Streamer have a wealth of information to offer, but it
takes a little digging to find what you need.  I only sought to create a
centralized source that mirrors the wealth of distributed information
contained in the web sites of the coiling community.  It should be open to
any additions and corrections needed as the art of coiling evolves. To keep
this from becoming redundant and full of misinformation it will also need a
group of educated coilers to oversee it.  (Any volunteers???  Maybe we
could let the TC lists vote as to who should be in charge.)

I also had the intention of adding a site search feature (Google or
similar) once there was a significant amount of information in the archive,
but I hope that by developing a proper index system, there will be little
need to use it.

The information in the archive should be contained in it's own pages and
not just linked to on the net.  This would make it easier to offer the text
content of the archive as a downloadable file or to offer the complete
archive on a CD as Terry had mentioned.  This would also help assure that
information wouldn't be lost over time as web sites disappear.  Of course,
this information should only be used with permission of the original author
as well as giving him proper credit and offering links to his page.

I hope that my job is going to change within the month and I might have a
little time to start working on this again if there is enough
interest.  But it will take the effort of the coiling community to
contribute to the archive as well as someone more knowledgeable than myself
to help oversee the content.  I have created several web sites for
different people in the past, and I am willing to maintain that part of the
archive.  The TCIA is actually a link off of a personal page that I was
putting up at
  http://hot-streamer-dot-com/tcia .
It to, is unfinished, but will give you an idea of what I was working on.

I'm open for any comments, suggestions and volunteers.  :)