Re: voltage doublers for sstc?

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

Hi,

> can I put a voltage doubler on the output of my
> isolation transformer to power my sstc?

Sure, if your transistors can handle the voltage (plus safety margin).

>  Also can one use gas arresters across the fets in
> Parr elle with the freewheel diodes? they have
> excellent surge capability and only 1pf of cap.

A MOV/VDR might be better because it doesn't go totally
short-circuit/low-impedance like a gas arrestor. In a half or
full-bridge SSTC, let's say the short is over one of the upper
transistors. This would then mean that the transistor below, when it
turns on, is shorting out the supply via the ignited gas arrestor, so
the transistor blows up.

 - Jan

--
 high voltage at http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla