RSGs

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

First and foremost, I would like to thank you all for your advice
lately. It has been most helpful.

Today I bought a cheap and dirty 700W 11000 rpm angle grinder. I'm
going to use only 4 electrodes for up to 733 BPS (even higher if I wind
up the variac to 270v). The motor throttles quite smoothly with my
small variac. I intend to use an 8" diameter disc, with the 1/4"
electrodes at 7" diameter. The disc is 5 blank PCBs, glued together.
I'm actually tempted to make a bigger disc to make the dwell time
shorter. The rotary will be used in series with an air blast gap to
allow better quenching, reduce flaming on the rotary and improve the
lifespan of the electrodes. What do you think.

Cheers,

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,
University of Queensland, Australia