RE: Small Pulse cap needed

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

You can make MMC's from any sized cap, not just 68nF caps.  If you did want
to make a 1nF cap from 68nF caps, you would only need 68 in series.  But
this is clearly wasteful.

If you're using a 6kV NST, peak voltage will be about 8.5kV (not sure where
you got the 15kV from).  A string of six 1600V caps in series will be good
for 9600V.  If each 1600V cap is .006uF, you will end up with a
.001uF/9.6kV cap, made from just six caps.

Digikey sells Panasonic 1600V ECWH(V) polypropylene caps at .0056uF or
.0068uF, for $1.23 and $1.27 each.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Hi all,

I need an 0.001uF (1nF) pulse cap to use as the primary cap in my tiny coil.
The coil itself is wound with 36awg, 4.2" by 0.6" on a glass test tube.

I cannot really use MMCs because the requrirement for a small cap would mean
stringing over 1000 68nF caps together :o)

Does anyone have a cap between 0.6 and 2nF lying around that they can sell
me, pop in the post, whatever? the voltage needs to be about 15KV, running
of a 6/25 neon.

Best Regards,
Jason

Geek #1139 G-1 - www.thegeekgroup-dot-org
"Because the Geek will inherit the Earth!!!"