Re: electrocution experiences

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

I once let a friend hold a 4' florescent tube while i fired a 15\60 nst
coil, he held one end to his groin and waved the other end around while
laughing heartily. I screamed "NO" as i reached for the plug (very early
in my coiling) Well, the multiple 2' streamers turned into one 4.5'
streamer and you can all guess the rest? This was very "sobering" to
him, he learned some tc safety and i started using a magnetic contactor
to bring in the line voltage, with off button in my hand always.

Once while coiling very tired i hit the on button for my pt powered
coil. The fan for the gap came up to speed, the timer kicked the main
contactor came in and all i herd was a hum? I shut her down and started
looking, I discovered that my dog had knocked one of the primary leads
off. I started to reconnect when all of the sudden it felt like someone
was cramming a howitzer up each arm and set both off at my heart. I
could feel the adrenaline working against what felt like my heart
fluttering! i really thought a trip to he hospital or instant heart
attack was coming soon? The pain in my arms and chest was almost
unbearable for a good five minutes, but the "fear factor" of a heart
attack made me mostly ignore this until the heart flutters stopped five
or so minutes later
This was before i found this list, I had never heard of a discharge
resistor and was too tired to remember to discharge the 25nf bucket caps
i had built, charged too 21kv it was nasty!
Two lessons here:
ALWAYS USE DISCHARGE RESISTORS AND/OR DISCHARGE LEADS!
NEVER RUN YOUR COIL WHILE TOO TIRED!