Re: Geek Group MMCs

Hi,

Many years ago people made caps to 3X the peak transformer voltage but that was
to help homemade caps survive being homemade.  We have found that there are no
mysterious spikes or anything.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/modact/modact.html

The NST peak voltage is 15000 x SQRT(2) = 21,213 volts give or take a few
thousand.  Ten MMC caps can easily take that.  My testing showed that the caps
will arc internally at 5700 volts each.  They just self heal which they can do
1000's of times so no problem in any case.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/GeekCaps/GeekCaps.htm

So just ten caps will work fine.  This is why everyone suddenly started using
MMC caps and abandoned their old rolled oil caps half made in parts pile. ;-)

Cheers,

        Terry