Re: Capacitive Ballasting

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Jim,

When used on the LV side, capacitive ballasting may not work nearly as
well as inductive ballasting. It also gives you a leading power factor
(current leads voltage) which may cause problems elsewhere in your
home's power distribution system.

Where capacitive current limiting really seems to pay off is in the HV
side in DC coils that use the voltage doubling circuit originated by
Marco and discussed by Greg in a recent posting (See the "How to tame a
Wild MOT" thread).

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--