Re: Measuring self-capacitance directly (Re: flat secondary)

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

>         Can't see how the "high-frequency" capacitance is really the
> distributed capacitance of the coil.

If you disconsider the higher-order resonances of the coil, it is.
But really, any practical attempt to measure the self-capacitance
in this way would be problematic due to the extra resonances.

> Seems to me measuring the
> low-frequency inductance and the self-resonant frequency is a much
> better way to go, and the one that's shown in my "Radio Frequency
> Measurements".  Has always worked for me and the results agree with a
> couple of percent of those calculated using Medhurst's data.

Certainly, this is the best method, since this capacitance is more an
"equivalent capacitance" than a real thing.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz