RE: How to Tune a Flat Spiral Coil

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Steve,

>> Yes, the arcs occurred near the outer windings of the secondary.
>  Ah, you didn't say -that- before. I always got the impression that it was
arcing right through uncut undamaged plexi and hot glue.

It is arcing through the uncut, undamaged Plexiglas and hot glue.  It's
arcing through all of this dielectric to the outer windings of the secondary
coil.  The Plexiglas extends a good 10" beyond the outer windings of the
secondary coil and about 7" beyond the outer windings of the primary coil.
It also extends all the way to the 1/4" bolt in the center of the secondary.

>  Where is it arcing to?

The arc is a direct line between the inner winding of the primary and the
outer winding of the secondary.

>  And I thought those three outer ends were grounded and the center was the
high voltage side.

No.  The secondary is not grounded at all, nor in this particular case was
there anything connected to the center of the coil.  The plasma ball had its
guts removed and there is about a 2" air gap between the center of the coil
and the bottom of the globe.

Dave