Re: Streamers

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Note: copy also forwarded to the Tesla List...

Hi Gary,

Just a quick note before I head to work...
It's the average lifetime of _free electrons_ that's only about 11 nSec
- positive and negative ions can persist for many orders of magnitude
longer (milliseconds or longer). The point I was making was that it's
really only the free electrons that do the "dirty work" in the avalanche
breakdown, streamer, and leader processes, not any of the residual ions
that happen to be lingering around in the same vicinity.

Re: ion cloud around the coil & capacitance:
In an operating coil, we're likely seeing the effect of displacement
currents via leaders and streamers into the region around the toroid.
This exchange of charge between the topload and surrounding region looks
and behaves like an additional capacitance (since charge can flow into,
and back out of, this region via the streamers and the main leader). The
additional "capacitance" lowers the secondary system's resonant
frequency. BTW, hot leaders aren't even necessary - once we start
getting streamers (the dim, diffuse precursor discharges), we'll start
getting significant charge exchanges to/from the surrounding regions and
begin seeing higher "effective" capacitance on the topload and frequency
shifting.

If you very quickly powered down the system and instrumented it, you
would not see the additional capacitance since the output terminal
voltage would now be too low to support the streamer mechanisms behind
it... i.e., you would not see the added capacitance of the "ion cloud"
even though the ions were still there.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--