Re: Of mammoth proportions

Original poster: "James T by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jamest2000-at-att-dot-net>

Hi Ben,
 This looks exactly like the 2 Phillips X-ray trans I bought from the
university. If it is the same,
inside you will find 2 big rectifiers, no capacitators, and a radiator for
the water cooling. There
are no PCB's in the oil.
 The tranny has 2 secondarys wound over 2 primarys. Perfect to wire the 2
secs in series and the
primarys in series or parallel. Huge core, easy to rework if necessary. You
will need the hoist to
lift the transformer, it is attached to the lid.
 The 220 volt-10 amp variac in a good one. I am using 2 in parallel, have
pumped 40 amps for short
periods of time with no heating at all.
 Yours look newer tham mine. One of mine had huge vaccum tube rectifiers
and one had 2 array's of
silicon rectifiers, I guess yours will be solid state. They can be
unscrewed by removing the access
plates.
 The panel meters are good quality.
All in all a great score!