Re: Measuring self-capacitance directly (Re: flat secondary)

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Antonio wrote:
 How are you measuring the self-capacitance?

Hello Antonio,
I have found that i get the best readings with the coil placed directly
on my ground grid placed on the floor, I connect one lead to one wire of
the coil (base or top) and connect the other to the grid. The grid is
not connected to external ground, just the meter. For the flat coil i
placed it on a teflon ring that i have to allow some space and connected
the same. I use twisted pair wire for the leads of my gen rad cap bridge
and this gives the best results.
I have also found that i can get fairly accurate toploadC readings
reading without and then with the topload in place, I first tried this
last year while getting tssp measurements, mostly because i didn't know
it wouldn't work?
I'm not quite convinced of the accuracy yet, but i seems good so far.
Take care,
Marc M.