Re: flat secondary

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Updated data inserted,

> Flat coil update from Marc M.:
>
>   I finished unwinding and rewinding the 20" OD coil, It is flat and has
> very little "lifted turns".
> I have so far (last night) checked some parameters and have gotten:
>
> 20" coil wound with 28g heavy build mag wire, all windings are tight,
> But in using duct tape as a holding surface, the coil looks kinda like a
> "brick wall" due to the tape overlaps. I don't think it will effect
> operation, But it may be note worthy?
>   I have counted 756 turns from a 3\8" ID around a brass bolt, outward.
> Sooo:
> 756 turns
> 10" radius
> dc resistance checks at 125.46 ohms
> Inductance measures at 93.06mh -at- 1khz
> series Q = 4.3
  Frequencies swept as follows:
  fo reads at 151.2khz with the start of the rise at 134.3khz and
falling off at 159.1khz
  so i'll give as:
  134.3khz < 151.2khz > 159.1khz
second res. at:
  348.6khz < 368.3khz > 379.1khz
third res. at:
  520.6khz < 554.8khz > 570.2khz
small twitch at 737khz,
I could barely detect a rise at 50.3khz, very slight but i'm sure it was
there.
> A quick check of selfC measures at 40pf from inside wire outward and
> 38pf from outside end inward (measured just for giggles)

Checked selfC with the gen. rad. bridge and it held firm at 39.8pf using
a twisted pair for the test leads.
One thing i noticed with this type coil is that very little interference
is noted by objects (my hand) approaching on the horizontal plane at the
edge of the coil. If my hand breaks above or below the plane of the coil
form disturbance is noticed. the higher above the edge or below the
edge, the more pronounced the disturbance. It seems initially that the
fields are very localized or in a strange shape in the vertical plane of
the windings? much more playing to do with this one.
On to the primary and tank circuit now.