Re: Useless questions

Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

Jim, Ed, All,

I wasn't thinking of trying to form any sort of an image with the
radar, just hoping the radar would 'see' an overall reflection from
a sphere of ionisation around the topload. Then
a) The amplitude of the return would give info about the size
and/or density of the ionisation - we could see how quickly it
forms, and try to observe its persistence between cycles/bangs.
b) Observe the surface of the 'ionisation sphere' move towards/away
from the radar by looking for doppler-induced sidebands - the line
width of the return would tell us how fast it was moving, and the
homodyne is perfect for that, isn't it?  You'd tap into it right at
the detector for max BW.

As for interference, I don't know.  I'd guess that at 10Ghz you'd be
up above most of the hash.  You'd need to take firm action to
prevent the coil RF from getting into the radar DC supply, etc, eg
battery powered, faraday cage, with small window for the radar to
see out through?
--
Paul Nicholson