Experimental Help - Terry?

Original poster: "Richard Wayne Wall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

Terry,list;

There has been much discussion of late as to the radiation content of Tesla
Coils.  We've known and accepted for a long time TC electromagnetic
radiation.  But, now there's a new kid on the block - Longitudinal
radiation.

How do we prove it?  I've devised an experiment to measure TC instantaneous
power. The rational is to measure the instantaneous and average primary
power, exclusive of the SG, and simultaneously compare it with TC measured
instantaneous and averaged power of the secondary.  If there is a power
discrepancy between the power imparted from the primary versus secondary EM
radiation, it needs to be accounted for.  A logical explanation of loss of
power in addition to EM radiation is Longitudinal radiation.

I make the assumption that all power radiated out through the TC secondary
is equal to the power alternating through the base of the TC into the
ground and back.  Furthermore all power in the TC secondary is derived from
the primary by both magnetic and capacitive induction which are reactive,
lossless transfers.  A very small amount or resistive loss may be present.
Further assumption is any longitudinal current does not involve base EM
current.

My experiment involves placing two large shunts in both the primary
circuits.  I bought two old radio current shunts at a hamfest.  They are
fortunately stamped on the side as to Amps vs millivolts.  They handle
hundreds of amps and calculated resistance is milli-ohms and less.  Most
any shunt if high enough power capacity will work, just keep R very small.

The idea is to measure and compare power simultaneously in both the primary
and secondary base instantaneously and averaged.  With and without spark
discharge, continuos and single shot.  My measuring instrument is a two
channel TDS 210 DSO.  The experiment works.  Unfortunately, the 210 lacks
the capability to simultaneously multiply one tracing by the other.  So, I
can't obtain simultaneous power,(P = EI) or  (P = I^2R). I am aware some of
the newer digital scopes have expanded math functions including power
functions.  I believe our fearless moderator has one of these great
instruments.  The TC base is tied to ground and is safe.  The primary
current shunt seems to be safe, but should be left floating.  If concerned,
a well insulated Pearson CT, 1:1 isolation transformer or fiber optic probe
can be substituted and used with the big current shunt.

Can anyone offer advice on the experiment or better yet does anyone have
measurement capability to get good data?

RWW

P. S.  Terry, I've well insulated my Pearson CT.  It's bandwidth is 10 MHz
with a huge amount of amps.  It can be used to measure a lot of other
"unknown" TC parameters, example, HV current from HVTX to capacitor.
Actually, one of these low resistance current shunts can also be used here
before the SG.  I haven't done it yet, but I want to put a very large HV,
high powered, noninductive, very high ohm resistor (10 - 100 Mega-ohm)
across the SG itself and measure current and voltage wave forms.  I would
use the fiber optic probe here and NOT the Pearson.  Then there is NO
guessing about power loss in the SG.  It can be measured and analysed.
Lower power loss SGs may be developed.