Re: MMC vs Maxwell comparison

Hi John,

These are the measured dissipation factors for your type of Arcotronics
0.047 1500VDC caps.

fkHz Theta
50   0.00074
100  0.00190
150  0.00290
200  0.00370
250  0.00460
300  0.00540
350  0.00650
400  0.00740

For a 10 x 3 configuration, one would multiply these values by 3.33.  Very
good numbers!

66.67 Mohms of drain resistance dissipates about 1.2 watts (9000 VAC) which
is actually about 0.5% of the coil's power (~225 watts).  Your testing may
actually be sensitive enough to see that!

I am a little surprised at your mention of how "quickly" the MMC heated up.
 I assume the temperature was less than 10C.  Your configuration should be
able to easily handle the current so I am a little surprised if they got
"very" warm.  I would guess they would heat to about 4C after a very long
run.  Your coil probably runs about 5 amps RMS in the primary.  You
mentioned a couple of minutes of intermittent run time so maybe the 4C is
just about what you are seeing.  That would confirm that I sort of know
what I am doing ;-))  When you feel an MMC, you are right there on the guts
of the capacitor itself so you feel the heat easily.  I think the Maxwell
will have more volume (thicker dielectrics since shorts are "bad") so the
heat gets spread out more.  The large case and oil also absorbs a lot of
heat before they start to get warm.

Probably the leads, dissipation, and drain resistors do have more loss than
the Maxwell.  10 Geek Group caps would be about the equivalent for $30.  If
we can get to 99% of a Maxwell cap for $30 (I don't know what Maxwell's
cost) I guess we do real good :-))  It's interesting that MMCs were
inspired to find a primary cap that would stand up in situations that
failed Maxwell caps.  Of course, we know far more about primary currents
now which was the key there.  One other giant advantage is that MMCs can
survive short over voltage events.  Maxwells get "messy" with over voltage!

Wonderful testing you did here!!  I am surprised you could see such a fine
difference.  The results sound just right and would agree with the numbers
involved.  Glad you "finally" got an MMC ;-))

Great test!!

Cheers,

	Terry