Re: Giant transformers

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Ben McMillen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<spoonman534-at-yahoo-dot-com>

>Hello all,
>  I've been looking at a couple of large transformers that
>the university is getting rid of, and I need to know if the
>oil in them contains PCB's. Here's what the name plate
>says:
>
>Kilovolt Corporation
>
>Model: KV50-50S
>Serial: 1285
>Output: 50KV -at- 50mA
>Input: 117V 60 Cycle 1 Phase
>
>The case also says on it something to the tune of:
>"Use only non-chlorinated 25KV transformer oil"
>(does this mean no PCB's?)
>
>There's an access panel on the top of the case that i can
>remove to expose the interior and the oil if need be.. I
>remember sometime back reading that oil that contains PCB's
>will burn a funny color. Is this true? Thanks for any help.
>
>Coiling in Pittsburgh
>Ben McMillen
>
>_

Hi Ben...

PCB = poly chloronated butinol   or something of that nature   a more
safer test is to put a few large drops of the oil into water...  if it
sinks to the bottom or there abouts  its a PCB type oil ...  if it
floats its most likely not PCB oil... more likely a mineral or castor
oil.  If it has a blueish to  clear blue its most likely a GE style oil
( btw which will stink  kinda a sweet sticky smell ) PCB type oil has a
golden or reddish color...

Scot D