RE: Barts Flat Coil Dimensions Was: Dimensions of my flat spiral coil

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Paul,

>> Two of the leads measure 5.1 Ohms and one lead measures 5.2 Ohms.

>OK, that suggests that something is wrong with the wire length or number of
turns.  You've about 3 times the expected resistance (1.8 * 3) and about 9
times the expected inductance, which agree. Somehow you've got a little
under 3 times more length of wire in each strand than you think you have.
Forget inductances for now, lets just get Ohms law to apply first.  Have you
actually counted the turns?  Is it definately 21 awg wire?

The wire is definitely 21 awg.  It's not physically possible that the turns
count for each of the three strands would be 224 with the dimensions of this
coil.  I have not physically counted the wires.  Next time I have to coil
apart, I'll count the turns.

>When it comes to flat spirals, has anyone considered printing them (PC,
acetate, photo-etch, etc) directly onto a copper clad?  Now that's something
you can't do very easily with a solenoid!

Wow, you're on to something here, Paul.  IF it is found that flat spiral
secondaries are a good transmitter of longitudinal waves, etched spirals
would likely make a good receiver.

Dave