RE: Spiral Coil test suggestions: was Re: (Fwd) RE: Longitudinal Waves

Hi David,

On 19 Feb 2002, at 17:15, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

> >> I'm going to jump ahead of your answer, because I can't see how energy
> would
> >> be efficiently added gradually through the entire cycle, it must be added
> as
> >> a pulse at a given time.
> >  Why do you say that? The current waveform of the primary is (mostly) what
> determines the voltage waveform across the secondary.
>
> Both the primary and the secondary, or any wave generator or resonant wave
> device, has to continually add energy to the wave in order to maintain the
> amplitude.

Only if losses are present. Perhaps that's being pedantic because no
circuit is lossless in practice (except for superconductors which are
outside the realm of practicalities for most experimenters).

  Energy can only be added at specific times to the wave form,
> otherwise the waveform would quickly fall apart.  As I understand it,
> amplitude equals voltage.  If amplitude is increased when the voltage is
> increasing, the voltages will oppose each other causing both the voltage and
> the current to decrease.  If the voltage has just begun dropping and
> amplitude is increased, the current will increase, thus adding energy to the
> cycle.  In a steady sine wave, the energy added to the cycle will just equal
> the losses.

Agree with that last sentence. I detect some dubious concepts in
sentence #3 in that paragraph.

> So if there are only certain times in the cycle when energy can be added,
> then there are times in the cycle when there is more power than at others.

Energy can be added at any time as long as the energy source is
correctly phased. Exactly what happens in a TC whose resonator is
ringing up.

> Therefore the wave form will not be a perfect wave, and in fact, every sine
> wave has a damped component depending on the efficiency of the entire
> resonant system.  But this is apparently not how engineers see it.  Somehow
> the wave generator magically distributes the energy perfectly even
> throughout the entire cycle.  And I'm a dunce for not believing this fairy
> tale.

The fairy tale I see promoted in here is that you can't add energy to
the ringing circuit on a continuous basis.
      I'm not out to shoot the messenger, just to ensure that the
message is correct.

Regards,
Malcolm