Resonant Systems

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Tesla list wrote:

> > Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> > > The fact that nobody has explained precisely how the energy is added
> > > to the wave to keep it oscillating as a sine wave is what will keep
> > > me on my current theory.

> >         Random energy added to a resonant system (acoustic or electrical)
> >         tends to add to the resonant system.  This is well known and
> >         well understood.  Mutual inductance (transformer action)
> >         is a most usual and convenient and conventional way to accomplish
> >         this.

>         Not sure what you mean by random;

		Irregular.  Asynchronous.

> to me that implies you can provide an impulse at random times with respect
>to an individual cycle.  The excitation must be synchronous with the
>oscillation of the system,

	True, for maximum efficiency of transfer.

	However, random excitation of a resonant system (some systems
	aren't) will also demonstrate resonance.  Consider any musical
	instrument.  (OK, skip the piano....  Impulse....).

	Blow randomly across a beer bottle (pop bottle, if under 18)
	and there Will Be Resonance....

> and added in the correct phase on each cycle.

	cf above....

>  Simplest example would be pumping a swing - you have to have the
> correct timing.

	For maximum efficiency and for maximum comfort for the swingee..

	best
	dwp