Re: DC secondary components

This is the wiew from a common ground point not the whole view.If I sit in a
train car the world outside is moving everything in the car is
stationary.The coil to ground resistance is low, but the toroid to ground
point is near 600meg. The charge is on an open ended capacitor. If you
measure only one end of a wire you will never see any differnce. Picture a
cloud developing a charge. The top is + the base is- as micro discharges
form the base charge leaves (carrona). The earth becomes - the cloud becomes
+ Then a spark from ground to cloud pops and the process starts again. The
same system acts in a TC. A DC charge formes on the static charged toroid
with each AC pulse until the total charge reaches a breakdowm potential to
neutralize  the air space charge around the toroid.This is a DC space
charge.Not static,but quite dynamic. If this did not happen the toroid
capacitance would never charge and you would never get high voltage
stringers, just little sparks. snap  snap  snap snap
    I can adjust my VT tesla to fit my opperating conditions I want. When I
adjust my grid leak resistor to pure sign wave with a sphere on top I get a
smooth blue carona and max plate  current at about 250Kv. when I adjust my
grid leak bias to unbalanced sign wave my current drops slightly and
stringers start to form as a charge builds on the sphere, AC and DC together
to form stringers.
   Robert  H

> From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 13:20:21 -0700
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: DC secondary components
>
> Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>
>
> Paul and all,
>
> Greg Leyh actually did this experiment a couple of years ago using one
> of his large coils. He used a high energy capacitor bank charged to a
> high potential to elevate the base of his secondary. The RF base
> currents easily passed through the bank to ground.
>
> While it's not clear that there was any significant change in the
> behavior of the unconnected leaders and streamers, there was certainly a
> large amount of follow-through current whenever the leaders power arced
> to ground. The resonant frequency of Greg's large secondary combined
> with the bank capacitance resulted in low frequency audio oscillations
> during the resulting high current power arcs. Greg may be able to share
> further details.
>
> I suspect that you'd need to elevate the secondary DC potential to a
> significantly higher potential  (many 10's of kilovolts positive) before
> you'd actually begin to see changes in streamer behavior.
>
> Best regards,
>
> -- Bert --
> --
> Bert Hickman
> Stoneridge Engineering
> Email:    bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net
> Web Site: http://www.teslamania-dot-com
>

> Tesla list wrote:
>>
>> Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>
>>
>> Jim Lux wrote:
>>> Corona discharge isn't a particularly high current phenomenon
>>> ( a few mA),
>>> ...Without giving it much thought, I would expect the DC average
>>> current to be in the microamps,
>>
>> Hmm, indeed. The corona only a small fraction then of the topload's
>> displacement current...so the DC component of the corona will be
>> another small fraction again, so yes, it might be only a few tens of
>> uA. That *is* a tricky one.
msnip...