RE: Saturating LTR coil! - demonstrated!! - RE: ~Variac question

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Hi Terry:

My ISP, AT&T, has announced that they lost the right to use the domain name
that my web site had been at.  Effective next month, it will have to change
to a new AT&T domain name.  I don't like being at their mercy and don't
ever want to have to change domain names again, so I've purchased my own
name and this should allow for a permanent URL for my web site.  The new
URL for Gary Lau's Tesla Coils is www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla.  There may be a
few "funnies" relating to links and page titles due to the URL forwarding
and cloaking, sorry...

Anyway, I can't tell if the NST is humming, the streamers were pretty loud.
 The basic stats were:
15/60 NST, 240uF PFC, .02uF Maxwell cap, single static "sucker" gap, 15A
Variac cranked to 140V (unloaded).
Regards, Gary

Hi Gary,

WOW!!!  This is that coil that always seem to perform better than it
"should".  It appears you have indeed got a true saturating LTR coil!!  The
current you measured is just right at what should be expected.

So your 15/60 NST is putting out maybe 3200 watts!!!! :-))))  Better yet,
it seems to survive!!  The current is about 3X so the temperature rise on
the windings is about 10X but it is intermittent operation at room
temperature so maybe no damage is being done.

I wonder what is limiting the current?  Maybe the shunts still work a
little or the rest of the system naturally limits itself??  Does the NST
hum real loud??  It may be the rest of the core is saturating as the "next"
current limiter.

If you could remind us of your web page and your coil's specs, we can check
it all out.  I was always wanting to try this type of coil but I was too
chicken of burning up my NSTs...

So the SLTR coil is "demonstrated" and a new type of Tesla coil is born!!

WOW!!  This is BIG!!!  Much much to ponder here!!

Cheers

	Terry