Re: Longitudinal Waves--Circular 74

Original poster: "Ray von Postel by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vonpostel-at-prodigy-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

> Thanks Ralph,
>
> I'm downloading it now.  Thanks Terry, for hosting this publication.
>
> Dave

Dave:
Thank you very much.

There is also an earlier publication :

Rosa, Edward B. and Grover, Frederick W.
"Formulas and Tables for the Calculation of Mutual and Self-Inductance"
Bulletin of the Bureau of Standards, Vol. 8, No. 1
Government Printing Office 1912

Portions of C 74 appear to be a popularization of this bulletin since it is
earlier than C74, has
the same type of equations, is both more precise and accurate,  more
detailed and contains many
more formulas for the mutual and self  inductance of different forms of coils.

The formulas used by Nagaoka for calculation of his tables are given; as
well as tables calculated
to an additional decimal place when compared to those given in C74.

The calculations of a solenoid, using Nagaoka's methods yield the current sheet
inductance.  The reference gives Rosa's formula for the correction to true
inductance.

Sorry that I do not have Vol. 8, No. 1 in digital form, but perhaps some
one who has a scanner
will be able to find a copy and download it.  My copy is in the form of
abbreviated notes and
would be of no help to someone else.

I got the paper as an inter library loan from the State of Washington
Library.  The Government
Printing Office no longer has it available.  NIST's archivist says she has "a"
copy of all Bureau of Standards Bulletin's but was unable to provide copy
service.

C74 is most certainly sufficiently accurate for Tesla coil work, but
possibly someone might wish
to use Nagaoka's formulas in a computer program.

Ray