Re: Variacs - Overpowering an NST.

Tesla list wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> See Figure F in this sheet:
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/VarBack.jpg
>
> It shows how much overload current you can put through a variac and for how
> long and then how long it needs to cool down.
>
> You can overload variacs substationally (with current but NOT voltage).
> You just have to let them cool down.  A small fan blowing on it does
> wonders.  You do have to be very careful not to burn the brushes.
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Terry

Terry:

	That statement about overload could be taken two ways, as I well know
from having a wife who ALWAYS makes the unexpected interpretation!!  I'm
sure what you meant about voltage is that you can't "overvolt" an
iron-cored device by more than a percent, rather than that there is no
limit to the voltage you can apply to one.  [In spite of the frequent
question about running a 120 volt transformer on 240 volts to get more
output.]

Ed