Re: DC secondary components

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Paul and all,

Greg Leyh actually did this experiment a couple of years ago using one
of his large coils. He used a high energy capacitor bank charged to a
high potential to elevate the base of his secondary. The RF base
currents easily passed through the bank to ground.

While it's not clear that there was any significant change in the
behavior of the unconnected leaders and streamers, there was certainly a
large amount of follow-through current whenever the leaders power arced
to ground. The resonant frequency of Greg's large secondary combined
with the bank capacitance resulted in low frequency audio oscillations
during the resulting high current power arcs. Greg may be able to share
further details.

I suspect that you'd need to elevate the secondary DC potential to a
significantly higher potential  (many 10's of kilovolts positive) before
you'd actually begin to see changes in streamer behavior.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>