Re: stray DC on Tesla Coil

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

> Hi Dave,

> Thanks for the great reference.  That's rather interesting.  I'll have to
> add an electret to my list of things to build.

	It is quite possible you have already built one, as a side effect
	of the existing configuration:
		field gets trapped' in any dielectric.

	(That's speaking informally)

> As for the operation of the flat spiral secondary, I wouldn't
> characterize the flow of energy as DC any more than AC.  If there
> is already a static charge with a positive and negative potential
> through the poles of the coil,

	I have no idea what 'static charge thru the poles'
	means.

	Nor need the initial (and measured while operating)
	DC field (if present) be 'static'.  It is probably
	continuously driven by the field ion rectifier.

> how could there be DC from the outer windings to the center of
> the coil?

	Has any been measured ON THE _windings_?

	What was measured was, i believe, in free space.
	Different place.
	Quite probably measuring stray ions (or field)
	from the field ion (corona) rectifier.

> As far as I know, modern physics only describes movements of
> electricity in either DC or AC flow.  That static charge through
> the poles of the center of the coil would rule out both.

	Why?
	Assume (as others have reported, for solenoidal coils)
	DC is found.  It's most likely source is the inadvertent
	field ion (corona) rectifier.

> Yet, when the outer lead of the coil is brought to the terminal lead,

	I have no idea which is who in this.

> there is a definite movement of electrical energy from the outer lead
>toward the terminal.

	Measured how?

> The implication for a closed circuit is that the energy within the coil
> is moving from the center toward the outer lead.  So what is the nature
> of this energy flow if it isn't either DC or AC?

	Both?

	How is it not 'AC' in the usual form, connect a load to a coil
	and current flows?

	(hint:
	In any given circuit, or system, both AC and DC can be
	present simultaneously....)

	The reported observations seem quite conventional.

	best
	dwp